About This Blog

September 2018:

Why am I doing this?

The idea for this blog was borne of my need for catharsis after so many years of university music training, during which I developed an acute fear of performance and a strong, persistent belief that what I had to offer was inadequate. Ever since I began the “serious” study of classical music at 18, I have largely avoided public performance because of the fear that my voice is not yet ready, not good enough. Now that I’m a few months removed from my master’s graduation I have the space to acknowledge that I may never feel ready, because I’ll always be striving to be better, to know more. I also have realized that there is a disconnect between how I treat my students and how I treat myself- I wholeheartedly believe in the beauty and value of each of my student’s voices, and yet I find it difficult to believe in my own voice. So with this in mind I’ve decided it's time to share.

I don't believe that my music and my thoughts are exceptional, but quite the opposite. I think we all have a great deal in common, and so perhaps what I have to say will resonate with you in some way. That is my sincere hope.



Comments